Thursday, December 16, 2010

A sweet encounter with reality. #2

My perception of an escapade is different from that of other people. You might imagine a happy journey (the one that you usually go for a leisure trip) but mine is exciting because it seems like an action movie packed with adventure brought to life. And according to a site (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/escapade), the meaning of an escapade is "a daring or adventurous act, often one that is disapproved of by others." There are lots of places that I've been to, but it was not as exciting as my childhood experience in Manila.

Manila is an exciting place because there's lots of glamor, color, and excitement but the hustle and bustle of city life deprived me and my  mom of serenity and peacefulness (characteristic of rural life). I was born in Iligan City and I have to go back to my roots. This time, for good.

As my mom was busy packing our things and our last remnants of our clothes, my mind wandered about how we're going to survive the ordeal. Without my knowledge  and young as I was, my mom was facing her greatest decision in life. She have just survived a painful separation from my father and staying here in Manila wasn't good for us. Though my mom felt sad, I didn't feel the same way as she did. For me,  the thrill of going back to Iligan is full of excitement and adventure, as well as fun.

My mom was scared of the prying eyes of my Uncle John (the brother of my dad). Our moves were constantly watched and observed that the thought of an escape is impossible. It is like we were looking for a needle in a haystack. But our neighbors within the compound were very cooperative. Somebody sold our refrigerator to buy us a ticket and another one hid us in her abode prior to our escape. I could constantly hear whisperings among them as if a top secret is relayed. My mom was unable to sleep that night. She was restless and listless. What if my uncle will find out about our plan of escaping?

It finally dawned on us that the final phase of our escapade has bagan.

When a green-colored van fetched us, we hurriedly left the secret house and carefully tiptoed going outside.
I could feel the tension gripping us as we drove away.  My mom darted her eyes towards the direction of our house where my uncle also resided.  But, she felt relieved when nobody was there. When our vehicle passed through the "gate of freedom", my mom not only felt relieved but excited at the prospect of going back to our final home and to our freedom.

When we reached the North Harbor Pier 3, many passengers where in a hurry to board the ship and we were on of them. I could not follow the footsteps of my mother but when she held my hand, I felt safe.

We were still hiding when we  boarded the Super Ferry. A friend of my mom just informed us that my uncle was also boarding on the same ship. We prayed unceasingly for our safe travel and of him not finding us.  After two days and one night of travel, we were finally docked on Iligan Bay waters.  Upon going down the gangplank, we saw my Lolo Andres and Lola Ardina, waving and waiting for us. And in my grandparents' faces, I saw freedom and I said to myself, "Home sweet home."

As Gilbert Parker said, “Love doesn't hide. It stays and fights. It goes the distance, that's why love is so strong. So it can carry you all the way home.” Because of my mom's unending love for me, we found our way home.

No comments: